19 June 2020

Thirty-miles and One Hundred Years

(Click to Enlarge.)

I have never had a familial affinity for Illinois.  My heart has always belonged to Nebraska.  It was Nebraska that I associated with family, and my family history.  But truth be told, Illinois could reasonably lay a claim to my heritage.  Direct ancestors of both my father and mother made homes here.  And startlingly they did it only thirty miles apart from each other. 

(Click to Enlarge.)
Around 1855 in Woodford County, in and around the town of Metamora were my Dad's ancestors 3xg-grands Aaron and Submit (Clark) Walker, my 2xg-grands Henry and Louisa (Dutton) Walker Sr., and my g-grandfather Henry M. Walker, Jr.  Also my 3xg-grandmother Nancy (Smith) Dutton.

At the same time, only thirty miles away in McLean County, in and around the town of Danvers were my Mom's ancestors 3xg-grands Jeremiah and Jane (Combs) Hall, and also 3xg-grands William and Sarah (Moore) McKee.

One hundred years later in northern California, my Mother from Phoenix, Arizona would meet my Dad from Dix, Nebraska, get married and produce me.

As I currently reside in Illinois, this state reminds me of her involvement in my development everytime I travel her highways, and of course visit the graves of my deceased ancestors.  I am blessed that I live so close to where I can walk the same ground my ancestors walked on.











Copyright © 2020 by Kevin W. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment