05 June 2021

"Just Another Picture of 'Just Another Distant Aunt.'" To Whom?

We all have them.  Me as many as anyone!  I have over a hundred pictures of great-aunts and great-uncles that go without much attention from me.  Why?  Isn't it obvious?  They are "just distant aunts and uncles". . . to meMy bias is toward researching and giving attention to my "ancestors," not just "relatives." 

Then it happens, someone comes along less selfish than me.  More thoughtful.  More considerate.  He posts a picture on FamilySearch.Org of one of his "just another distant aunt."  He is thinking less inward and more outward.  What can he do that might be good for someone else?  What can he do that is good for the hobby of genealogy and therefore all genealogists?  

Then I come along and find the picture he posted of his "just a distant aunt."


Meet my 2xg-grandmother Martha Porter (nee. Scott, 1825-1909).  This is the first picture I have ever found or seen of her.  My newfound cousin's "just a distant aunt" is my gg-grandmother!  

I owe him so much for posting this picture publicly.  I think he is the type of guy who would appreciate me paying it forward.  I need to go start uploading pictures of "just distant aunts" and "just distant uncles."

Copyright © 2021 by Kevin W. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment