09 July 2010

What I Do

Thomas MacEntee over at Geneabloggers.Com has suggested that all the geneabloggers post what technology they use to do their blogging and genealogical work. --

* Hardware: The last computer system I ever bought was a HP 286, back circa 1990.  Since then I have built my own.  The heart of my system is a homebrew AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.41 GHz system built on an ASUS motherboard, with 8gigs memory, dual widescreen monitors, numerous hard drives and disk drives, networked with a cable modem and Linksys router to three laptops, one for each -- myself, my wife, and my son.

* External storage: Three external hard drives -- 1TB Seagate for backup, 500GB for storage, 350GB for music files.

* Backup: Acronis TrueImage Home

* Firewall: ZoneAlarm

* Virus protection: Multiple

* Spyware: Multiple

* Printer: Canon Pixma MP610 All-in-One (I have had a lot of printers over the years, this is the BEST!)

* Phone: Motorola RAZR2 v9

* Music player:  Sony 16gb Walkman

* Browser: Firefox

* Blog: Blogger (duh)

* Text editor: MS Word, but I am not above using NotePad

* Graphics: Corel's PaintShop Photo Pro x3 (leaves all others in the dust)

* Screen capture: PrtSc and Paste (old school)

* Social media: Facebook and Twitter (both I rarely use)

* Office suite: MS Office 2007

* E-mail: MS Outlook, Gmail

* Genealogy database: Legacy 7.4 (is my core), Family Tree Maker 2010 (for interacting with Ancestry.Com)

* Genealogy tools: GenSmarts, GenMerge

* Other tech stuff: Canon LIDE200 Mobile Flatbed Scanner (powered by USB, invaluable for research trips)

Copyright © 2010 by Kevin W. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment