22 May 2021

The Consequences of Large Families


Dix School, 1938 -- Dix, Kimball County, Nebraska.

The little boy sitting dead center in the front row is my father Paul E. Walker (1929-2019).  The little boy sitting to his immediate left is Robert Arthur "Bob" Wistrom (1930-1999).  Bob was my father's best friend.  Bob was my father's nephew!

My father was the second youngest of nine children.  Bob is the son of the oldest of the nine children, Beulah Lee Wistrom (nee. McNeill Walker, 1907-1980). 

My father always called Bob his "cousin."  Growing up, I called Bob my "uncle," when in fact he was my cousin.

The girl in the back row, second from the left is Bob's older sister Virginia Lee "Jinks" Stormberg (nee. Wistrom, 1928-1994).  Jinks was my father's niece, and a year older. 

I don't know.  It all seems to me to be a small price to pay for the joy of a large family.

Copyright © 2021 by Kevin W. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment