25 May 2021

Tombstone Tuesday: Jennie Mariam Long (nee. Hall, 1879-1968)


Jennie Mariam (Hall) Long
Born: 24 Mar 1879, Gibson City, Ford County, Illinois, USA
Died: 3 Aug 1968 (aged 89), El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas, USA
Buried: Sunset Lawns Cemetery (El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas, USA), 
    Section: B Lot: 210 Space: E3

I have been doing genealogy and family history for about two decades now.  One thing I have noticed is how easy it is to find the fingerprints (metaphorically speaking) of my ancestors who were also family historians.  Here is my favorite example.  I was searching the holdings at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and I discovered a picture of my 3xg-grandparents William (1810-1873) and Sarah (Moore) McKee (1817-1895).  And who donated it?  Jennie (Hall) Long.  

Another?  I found a published family history on the descendants of my 5xg-grandfather Guian McKee (1750-1827), and whose research does the the author include?  Jennie (Hall) Long.  Jennie was even able to identify the location of the grave of my 4xg-grandmother Martha Moore (nee. Cunningham, 1773-1853), no marker in a forgotten overgrown cemetery.  

Jennie was remarkable, and she did all this before the digital age -- paper research, and lots of correspondence.  It took lots of time, lots of patience, and lots of dedication.  You will not be surprised to know she was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.   Thank you Jennie.

Jennie Mariam (Hall) Long was my great-grandaunt, on my mother's maternal side.

Copyright © 2021 by Kevin W. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment