Ohio The Crossroad of Our Nation: Records & Pioneer Families
(Volume IV No. III: July-September 1963) Published by Esther Weygandt Powell
JOSEPH BARKDULL (BERGDOLL) OF COLUMBIANA COUNTY, OHIO
Contributed by Mrs. Jack Hyman, Stockton, CA
Joseph Barkdull Born: 1764 (?) Md. probably Hagerstown; lived Somerset Co., Pa. c. 1784; deeds recorded in Columbiana Co., Ohio 1809-1824; Williams Co., Ohio 1824. Died: 27 Sept. 1828 (?) New Lisbon, Columbiana County, Ohio.
Mary M. (Freeman?) Died: 1836 Columbiana Co., Ohio
Children of Joseph and Mary M. Barkdull
1. John Freeman Barkdull and Nancy Slater had:
- 1. John Freeman b. 1784 Somerset Co., Pa.; d. 1 Oct. 1865 Henry Co., Ill.; Married 1st. Nancy Slater 12 Oct. 1810, Columbiana Co., Ohio. Married 2nd Sarah Dicks 12 Nov. 1816, Columbiana Co., Ohio.
- 2. Joseph b. 13 Dec. 1787; d. 31 July 1859; married Anna Douglas 25 Jan. 1814, Wayne Co., Ohio.
- 3. Elizabeth married S.S. Crawford
- 4. Peter d. 6 May 1834; married Sarah Lasure 12 Feb. 1818, Wayne Co., Ohio.
- 5. Michael b. 3 Sept. 1798, Somerset Co., Pa.; d. 25 July 1839 Quincy, Ill.; married Prudence Tremayne 6 May 1824.
- 6. Samuel d. 27 Sept. 1828; married Mary Sharp 14 Mar. 1820, Columbiana Co., Ohio.
- 7. David d. 11 Jan. 1861; married Permina Ingledine 20 July 1826.
- 8. Phillip married 7 May 1826 Rachel Mitchell, Columbiana Co., Ohio.
- 9. Jacob died 6 Nov. 1828.
- 10. Thomas b. 24 June 1813; d. 4 Jan. 1869 Shelby, Ohio; married Caroline Hendry.
John Freeman Barkdull and Sarah Dicks had:
- a. William b. c 1814, Columbiana Co.; d. April 1840, Knox Co., Ohio.
- b. Diana Mary married Robert Surpluss.
- a. Robert K. b. 18 June 1817 Columbiana Co., Ohio; d. 1 Dec.1870 Delaware, Ohio; married 7 Oct. 1830 Prudence Beal, Union Co., Ohio.
- b. Jane married Josiah Elliott, 2 July 1846, Union Co., Ohio.
- c. Silas Freeman b. 12 Feb. 1827, Richland Co., Ohio; d. 3 Feb. 1898, Crawford Co., Pa.; married Anna Pool, 18 July 1847, Union Co., Ohio.
- d. Sarah Mahal b. 26 Dec. 1830, Union Co., Ohio; d. 1 June 1911, Kidder Co., N.D.; married Andrew Jackson Ennis, 31 Aug. 1856, Marshall Co., Iowa.
Joseph Bardull's children were an interesting lot --John was a Lt. in War of 1812; Joseph an early sheriff of Wayne Co., Ohio; Michael converted by Joseph Smith personally and this line thick in Salt Lake City area; Phillip was a converted Quaker and an early settler in Howard County, Indiana; Thomas was a presiding elder in the Methodist Episcopal Church in Ohio; even daughter Elizabeth distinguished herself somewhat by having 13 children.
Howard Barkdull of Cleveland, past president of American Bar Association, was of John's line.Joseph Barkdull was my 5xg-grandfather. The lineage: Joseph -> Lt. John Freeman Barkdull -> Diana Mary (Barkdull) Surpluss (1811-1869) -> John Nelson Surpluss (1839-1901) -> James Alexander Surpluss (1867-1948) -> Thelma (Surpluss) Gibson (1903-1991) -> Brenda (Gibson) Walker Cline Cox (1938-1989) -> me.
Copyright © 2014 by Kevin W. Walker