20 April 2014

Sunday's Obituary: Emily (Jones) Gurwell 1847-1935

From THE IOLA DAILY REGISTER, WEDNESDAY EVENING. OCTOBER 28, 1935, Iola, Kansas (click to enlarge) --


Mrs. Emily Jones Gurwell, 88 years old, died at the home of her son Ernest Gurwell Sunday evening. Her death was caused by paralysis.  She had been bedfast for several months. Mrs. Gurwell was born in 1847 and has lived in Humboldt seven years. Her husband died nine years ago. Survivors are four daughters, Mrs. Lee Martin, Humboldt,  Mrs.. Ida Soiers, Kansas City, Mrs. Rosetta French, Chanute, and Mrs. Alice Bradford, Lawrence; four sons, Ernest Gurwell, Dan Gurwell, and Ralph Gurwell of Humboldt, and James Gurwell of Los Angeles; and one step-son, Jacob Gurwell of Chanute. Funeral services were held this afternoon in the Presbyterian church with the Rev. D. L. Sanborne in charge. Burial in the Ellison cemetery west of Humboldt.
Emily Gurwell was my 2xg-grandmother on my mother's paternal (Gibson) side.

Copyright © 2014 by Kevin W. Walker

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,
    Emily is wife of my father's (Clayton Gurwell), father's (Ivin Gurwell), father's (Jacob Lartin Gurwell), Father (James G Gurwell). I can't help but think we are related in some way. I am not sure how to get in touch with you, but I am on ancestry.com. My user name is sucope50 if you want to contact me.
    Thanks so much,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete